Stored and Adored

Dedicated to Designer and Pre-Loved Bags

Tuesday 15 August 2017

All About J.W. Anderson

stored and adored designer bag blog: all about j.w. anderson
photo by PandaLovePhotography / CC BY

I first discovered J.W. Anderson whilst I was visiting Dover Street Market. Seeing as the brand had been establised in 2008, I was, admittedly, a little bit late to the party; however, it was right around the time when I was really "getting into" designer handbags and J.W. Anderson's designs struck me as something quite special. It was the J.W. Anderson Moon Bag that really did it for me - I just loved all of those clean lines and the alluring crescent-moon of negative space. It looked a lot like my very first designer handbag purchase (a Loewe Clutch Bag from circa 2000), and that coincidental likeness left me feeling closer to J.W. Anderson's aesthetic. 

Pretty soon after this trip, I began researching to find out more about the brand and I discovered that J.W. Anderson, the man behind the brand, had now also been appointed as the creative director of Loewe. I was already a passionate fan of Loewe's bags, and with this knowledge I came to understand why I had felt such an immediate affinity with J.W. Anderson handbags; in many ways, some of the designs have come to share a similar aesthetic and target demographic to Loewe.

The Pierce Bag (pictured above in the small size) is one of J.W. Anderson's most recent designs, and it has been incredibly popular. It certainly seems to have become a favourite with social media fashionistas. Despite the Pierce Bag being quite different to the Loewe Puzzle Bag (undoubtedly one of J.W. Anderson's most popular designs a Creative Director of Loewe), it is not unlikely that both of these bags could be carried by the same woman. There is certainly some crossover between J.W. Anderson and Loewe designs, although a lot of work goes into keeping them seperate. 

storedandadored designer bag blog: about jw anderson
photo by PandaLovePhotography / CC BY

J.W. Anderson splits his time between London, Paris and Madrid; working on his own brand whilst in London, and working for Loewe whilst in Paris and Madrid. This physical seperation is probably very helpful, but there is still one leading man behind both brands. I think that when Loewe hired J.W. Anderson in 2013, they saw how his effortlessly cool designs could really help modernise Loewe. Fast forward four years, and I think that there have been many successful changes; meanwhile, J.W. Anderson's own brand has recieved investment from LVMH Moët Hennessy and has gone from strength to strength.

In 2015, J.W. Anderson made fashion history when the brand won both "Menswear" and "Womenswear Designer of the Year" at the British Fashion Awards. It was the first time any brand has ever won both prestigious awards in the same year. Today, J.W. Anderson is considered an established brand, but there is still a sense that this is only the beginning of its success. Keep your eyes peeled, because I have a feeling that J.W. Anderson is set to make remarkable fashion achievements.

Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blog Design Created by pipdig